Open well Pump Installation Advice
Open well Pump Installation Downloads
Below is a step by step guide of installing a three phase open well pump. Installations should be managed by a trained professional, the below is for illustrative purposes only.
- Topping up the motor
Unscrew the Brass Plugs 1 and 2, fitted on top of the motor as shown in Fig. 1 below, and fill the motor with pure drinking water till water overflows from the other filling hole. Gently rock the motor to release air bubbles and further top up if necessary. Then replace the two plugs.
Fig. 1 Filling the motor of OWS with pure drinking water
The brass Plug 3 mounted on the bottom of the motor, is used for draining the water from within the motor. Ensure all three Brass Plugs are tightened to prevent leakage of water from within the motor. Check for leakages before lowering the OWS.
- Use prescribed pipe sizes as mentioned on the product name plate.
- Check the level of silt at the bottom of the well. Refer Fig. 2, shown below, for locating the OWS for operation with flooded suction.
- Use the eye bolts / lifting lugs for lifting / lowering the OWS using appropriate equipment. Keep the wire ropes remains tied for lifting of the pump set for future.
- To prevent the motor from getting exposed during pumping, ensure the suction strainer is fitted above the level of the motor. This is done by fitting one end of a bend to the pump suction flange and the strainer to the other end of the bend, thereby ensuring that the level does not fall below the strainer.
Fig. 2 OWS with flooded suction
- Water proofing the submersible motor cable - supply cable joint
- DOL OWS Motors are supplied with a single 3 core PVC insulated flat cable of length 3 meters.
- The free end of the 3 core cable of the motor needs to be connected to the supply cable from the control panel.
- As this joint is always nearly submerged in water, the joint needs to be water proof.
Refer the sequence shown in Fig. 3 below for insulating the cable joint for under water application:
Repeat the procedure for both 3 core PVC flat cables from the motor to the two cables from the Control Panel.
- SD OWS Motors are provided with two separate 3 core PVC insulated flat cable, each of 3 meters length.
- Electrical installation
- As far as possible, do not use multiple joints in the electrical cabling while connecting the Control Panel to the OWS.
- Ground the pump set using the two earth screws provided on the leg of the motor body.
- Ensure electrical joints, if any, are properly and adequately insulated.
- Connect the cable properly to the starter terminals to avoid loose connections.
- Factor in low voltage operation while selecting cable size.
- Power up the OWS and observe the discharge from the pump.
- Next interchange any two phase wires, power up the OWS and observe the discharge from the pump.
- In case the discharge is more after interchanging any two phase wires, then the impeller is rotating in the correct direction within the volute casing.
- If the discharge after interchanging any two phase wires is lower, then the previous phase wire connection was correct. Now revert back to the old phase wire connection.
Direct on line starter
Star delta starter
|Cable 1||Terminal 1||Terminal 2|